Top 10 Food Additives to Avoid
My thanks go out to www.citizens.org for their fine work in summarizing the worst 10 “foods” and the reasons we should all avoid these as the poisons that they are.
1. HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup)- Billions of pounds are sold each year of this synthetic, toxic, “sweet” corn product that is a chemical (test-tube) compound. It is closely linked to diabetes, heart disease, obesity, and poor mental function, etc. This is NOT “sugar”. It is in most sodas, sweet drinks, and sweet foods.
2. Aspartame – AKA Nutrasweet and Spenda- This chemical should never have been approved by the FDA. It took a move by Serle (the company that discovered this toxic chemical) to hire Donald Rumsfeld as CEO and the Reagan government changing the FDA leadership to get this poison approved in 1981. This single toxin may be responsible for more chronic disease than any other. For more on Aspartame see www.whilesciencesleeps.com
3. Hydrolyzed Protein
4. Autolyzed Yeast
5. Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) – Think of this in any label with “natural flavors”, or even “vegetable extract”. This is found in all soups, sauces, virtually anything in a box or bottle.
Along with aspartame, the above are all excitotoxins, chemicals that can over excite cells in the nervous system, causing, at times, permanent cell damage.
6. Potassium Bromate – A known carcinogen banned in Europe, China, Canada, and Brazil.
7. Brominated Vegetable Oil (BVO) – Banned in Europe, India, and Japan. Found in some Gatorade and mountain dew, and some citrus-flavored drinks.
8. BHA and BHT – A known carcinogen and alters brain chemistry. This is found in many cereals, snacks, gum, and processed meats.
9. TRANS Fats / Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils -Think junk food! Known to promote heart disease and likely damaging to all cells.
10. Artificial Colors – Linked to hyperactivity, migraines, cancers, and sleep problems in children.
Buy organic, read labels, and cook from scratch whenever you can. When in doubt eat fruits and vegetables (organic ones).
My thanks to citizens.org for putting this list together.