BPA- The Toxin In Our Plastics

BPAFreeBPA (Bisphenol-A) is one of the resins that is used in the linings of cans that store foods, and is in most hard plastic bottles used as water bottles. There is little doubt that this molecule, with it’s methyl (CH3) and hydroxy (OH) groups, is biologically active and a cause of some very concerning health effects.  The EPA in 2010 states that animal studies have shown BPA to be weakly estrogenic and toxic to reproductive, and developmental systems as well as having direct systemic toxicity.  In 2008 the NIH and FDA both stated that there was room for concern about effects on the brain, behavior, and prostate gland in human fetuses, infants, and children at current human levels of exposure.  We know that infants get an exposure that is at least 10 times that of adults. 

The study listed below gives a nice overview of the topic and some specific findings in Washington State.

 

Parents, do all that you can to avoid cooking, or  microwaving plastics, or in dishes with plastic covers. Don’t use cups and bottles that have BPA.  Each and every step we take to reduce toxins, adds up to a huge positive health impact for our children. 

 https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/publications/publications/1303005.pdf

Dr. Paul

Reply To This Post