What would a family health center look like?
I have often wished I could be the doctor for the whole family. The old-fashioned family doctor. In my Integrative Medicine training, I became board certified in Integrative and Holistic medicine that was for all ages. While heart disease and cancer are leading killers of the elderly, and there is a growing percentage with Alzheimer’s and Diabetes, it is obesity and hormone imbalances, nutritional deficiencies, and toxin/stress-driven health issues that most need our attention.
What if we developed a health center where the real important health and wellness issues were elevated to the top priority? What would that look like? How can we create a clinic that supports this transformation affordably and within the context of the current insurance industry? Can we create virtual support groups to assist us in staying accountable to our goals of exercise, good nutrition and reduced stress life-styles?
Until this utopia health and wellness center is your reality, I recommend the following:
1. Start exercising 20-30 minutes daily.
2. Eat organic and cut out the sugar/sweets and processed flour/ foods.
3. If you have an addiction – get help (counseling, 12-step, honesty).
4. Get your hormones checked (Vit D 3 , TSH, free T3, free T4, and for older adults– testosterone (free and total), and for ladies add estradiol, progesterone).
5. Take Vitamin D3, a multivitamin, and omega -3 supplement.
6. Get enough sleep. Adults absolute minimum 7 hours – ideal 8 – 9 hours.
7. Consider testing food sensitivities and micronutrient testing.
8. Reduce stress. There may be something you need to say “no” to.
9. Interact more with people you love – build and broaden your community.